I have had the pleasure of exploring Brisbane a whole lot more recently and found a number of interesting and entertaining places to visit. I have compiled a list of my favourite places that would be exciting, affordable (or mostly free) and enjoyable to frequent during your holidays.
1. The Brisbane City central is great place to start with; it’s always a buzz with people. It’s easy to get to and filled with wonderful activities to do. You can start by visiting Brisbane museums which are bound to give you some great insight into Australia’s rich cultural heritage.
2. The next place that is a must to experience, is South Bank which runs parallel to the Brisbane river and consists of a vast assortment of cafés, restaurants, big screen TV’s, sparking lagoons and stunning man-made beaches. Carry your bathing suit and expect to have an amazing day of sunshine, relaxation and enjoy the overall atmosphere. The Botanic garden is a perfect place to have a picnic and catch up with friends. It is one of the oldest and most mature gardens in Brisbane and was initially planted by the convicts. There are even free guided walks that run from Monday to Saturday.
3. Next stop – the vibrant Markets and the Queen Street mall– this is where you can find everything and anything and caters for every individuals shopping taste. Be sure to wear your comfy walking shoes 😉 because there is so much to see and do.
4. The Brisbane Ferris wheel was a really amazing experience for me. I got to ride in an air-conditioned capsule called a Gondola that boasts magnificent 360° views across the city and lasts for approximately 12 minutes. You even have the option of getting a picture souvenir.
5. My first encounter with a Koala was at the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. You get to cuddle with a gorgeous Koala (under supervision) and you get to see and enjoy Australia’s other wildlife such as Tasmanian Devils, Echidnas, Kangaroos and Wombats. This is an experience that is unique and not to be missed.
6. If you fancy a night out on the town, the Fortitude Valley is home to some of the best nightlife. You can enjoy home grown talent at it best with a variety of local bands as well as international artists and tours. Put those party shoes on and enjoy the people, relaxation and carefree culture.
Brisbane has plenty of unique activities to keep you entertained. Some of them are free and some aren’t but you’ll be guaranteed a fun and entertaining time no matter what your interests are. The list above is just the tip of the iceberg; there are so many more marvellous places to explore such as Moreton Bay, Kangaroo Point, Alma park zoo and Mount Cooth-tha to mention a few. Happy exploring!
What is your favourite place?
Share your opinion with us!